Sunday

So, we have now been with the Hare Krishna´s one week. We have been trying to wrap our brains around the philosophy. This is my best shot at explaining the basics:

-The man pictured above is named Lord Krishna. Krishna is the Supream diety revered. For example, if we were talking in terms of Chritianity, Krishna is God. Everything is thought to come from Krishna. Other Hindu dieties like Shiva, Vishnu, etc.. are manifestations of various characteristics of Krishna.

- Every now and then (like every 500 years or so) krishna comes to earth in a different form to a different people to remind everyone how they should live. Buddah and Jesus are considered such manifestations. These manifestations are calls Devas or Avatars.

-One of the best ways to bring "Krishna conciousness" to the soul is to chant

"Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna,
Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare."

Devotes encourage everyone to chant this, whether or not they practice the faith. In the community this is sung hundred of times a day.

The monks and nuns have services in the temple 5 or 6 times a day; the first at 5am and the last around sunset. In these ceremonies they symbolically offer¨"the elements" to statues of krishna. Incense-earth, water, fire, and air. They play the taubla (a traditional Indian drum) and chant in sanscript. Jameson and I choose whether or not we want to participate in the services. We have yet to attend a sunrise ceremony.

Before we eat anything, it must first be offered to krishna. We were even instructed to try to not even desire the food while cooking, because it would be taking away from the offering. All the food is placed on an altar after being prepared and the cook rings a bell to summon the spirit of Krishna. After about five minuits we can serve the plates. While serving the utensiles cannot touch the plate. Your hands and mouth must be clean.
We´ve done a whole lot of weeding. Hours and hours of weeding. They swear that we are going to plant some broccoli one of these days but I don´t know if i believe them. Has anyone ever been stung by a nettle? It freaking hurts. I have to fight with those things all morning long. My mornings are full of beets, carrots, fennel, and nettles.

We´ve had yoga classes every day. Jameson has spectacular balance but still is working to touch his toes. I have fallen far from how felxible I was the last time I took yoga.

The Hare Krishna community is becomming an enlightening experience. They are quite liberal with us, and that is refreshing. They also have been exceedingly kind and open. I can´t wait for Michael to get here and share the experience with us. He gets here is 4 DAYS!

Please if anyone else has run into some money or free plane tickets come and spend some time down here in South America with us.
- Laney

2 comments:

  1. Laney and Jameson!! Hello... I am so glad I found your blogspot, I missed you guys by a day before you left. It sounds and looks like you are having an amazing experience. I can't wait to exchange Hare Krishna stories with you. Evrim and I once stayed in the international Hare Krishna Conscious society temple in India...Anyways I am loving reading about what you two are doing and I can't wait until you return, when is that? Hope to hear from you soon, much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I'm so glad I found you, too!
    Laney, hi. I'm Jameson's "aunt" Beth. Johanna sent me a link to her blog today and I found you there. I just read this thing back to the beginning...you two are having quite an adventure! I'm sorry I never did anything like this before I got older than dirt. Turned 40 in April, by they way.
    Yep. Dirt.

    I'm glad to be able to follow what you're doing and sending all my best!

    ReplyDelete