Laney's adventures in Poison Oak

I don't know when or how it happened but somehow I am covered with poison oak. From my chin to my legs, itchy, bumpy, nasty red poison oak has taken over.
I was always so proud thinking that I was immune to poisonous plants, until now I'd never had a case of poison ivy, oak, sumac, nothing! So last week, when I found a weird rash on my neck and one Californian friend says, "oh yea! looks like you've got poison oak!" I felt betrayed by mother nature.

It's horrible. It looks bad, it feels bad, it generally sucks. I would put it in the same category as being bitten by a hundred mosquitoes. Not fun.

The internet has led me to all sorts of ideas as to how to treat poison oak; baking soda and vinegar, oat meal mask, oat meal bath, cornstarch, tea tree oil, calamine lotion, lukewarm baths, cold compresses, and on and on. I faithfully tried almost every single one and none of them healed me.
A friend mentioned that often right next to where the poison oak grows there grows another plant called Manzanita which carries the antidote to the poison.

You see in the photo above the manzanita is the red barked tree.
Jameson and I had to go on an adventure driving along the country roads searching for this manzanita. We finally encountered the thing, chopped off a few branches and brought them home where we made pots and pots of tea out of the leaves and bark.

That night I took a bath in cold manzanita tea.
According to Native American legend, the poison oak should be cleared up in three days.
I'll let you all know what happens on Monday.


  1. Anonymous6:14 PM

    I once got poison ivy---IN MY EYES!! I discovered that I was continuing to spread it through my shoes, which was still carrying the oil from the plants. I sure hope this natural remedy works. It's the most miserable thing ever.
    Mommy Price

  2. baylen11:45 PM

    When ever I get poison ivy (never had oak)I have to go to the doc and get steroids, never fun.

    When I worked for the city I would lather up with tecnu ( to prevent it. put it on your face, any tools you're using, glasses, what ever. It smells weird and even though it says you can use it for relief it's only good as a preventative measure.

    I have found that Zanfel ( works wonders
    as relief. The only issue is the cost; $40/oz is WAY too much money.

    Let me know how these leaves work, I might have to get some for later.

  3. Anonymous10:47 PM

    Sadly, it has to run it's course. if you can wash it off very well as soon as you know you have come in contact, it helps. Most folks get from their lap dogs!!!

  4. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Use your blow dryer, hold on the itch until it stings.
    It is a miracle for the itch!!!

  5. If you think you've come in contact with it, use dish soap especially Dawn to wash up. It cuts the oils.

  6. Anonymous11:08 PM

    ugh! i itch bad!!!!!! i dont know what i got into but it sure wasnt poison oak or anything and im not allergic to any thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh x scratch x help plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!